Faculty: Michael N. Gould
|Training Areas:||Molecular & Cellular Pharmacology|
Our laboratory focus is in breast cancer research, including both basic and translational projects. Our three major projects are:
- Breast cancer genetics: Initially, using animal models we are specifically looking for genes that prevent breast cancer. Once identified, these genes will provide a better understanding of the role of modifier genes in breast cancer risk and also provide anticancer drug development targets.
- Oncogenes, Ras signaling: We are approaching two questions in the area of carcinogenesis -- How do H-Ras and K-Ras differ in their signaling pathways? Which of these pathways lead to organ specific carcinogenesis?
- Breast cancer chemoprevention and therapy: Our laboratory is developing a novel class of anticancer drugs, the monoterpenes. They selectively induce apoptosis and inhibit proliferation in cancer cells. We are seeking the molecular basis of this important selectivity by investigating the effects of these drugs on cell cycle associated protein and signaling pathways associated with cytostasis and apoptosis. Additionally, we are performing studies with other potential chemopreventive agents, as well as identifying surrogate biomarkers for breast cancer risk.
Honors & Awards
- Not available
Other Positions & Affiliations
- Not available
- Sharma D, Smits BM, Eichelberg MR, Meilahn AL, Muelbl MJ, Haag JD, Gould MN (2011).Quantification of epithelial cell differentiation in mammary glands and carcinomas from DMBA- and MNU-exposed rats. PLoS One. 6(10):e26145. PMID: 22022542
- Smits BM, Sharma D, Samuelson DJ, Woditschka S, Mau B, Haag JD, Gould MN (2011).The non-protein coding breast cancer susceptibility locus Mcs5a acts in a non-mammary cell-autonomous fashion through the immune system and modulates T-cell homeostasis and functions. Breast Cancer Res. 13(4):R81. PMID: 21846333
- Veillet AL, Haag JD, Remfert JL, Meilahn AL, Samuelson DJ, Gould MN (2011). Mcs5c: a mammary carcinoma susceptibility locus located in a gene desert that associates with tenascin C expression. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 97-106. PMID: 21205740
- Gould MN (2009).The utility of comparative genetics to inform breast cancer prevention strategies. Genetics. 183(2):409-12. PMID: 19864342
- Woditschka S, Haag JD, Sullivan R, Gould MN (2009). A short-term rat mammary carcinogenesis model for the prevention of hormonally responsive and nonresponsive in situ carcinomas. Cancer Prev Res (Phila). 153-60. PMID: 19196722
- Cotroneo MS, Haag JD, Stapel NR, Waller JL, Woditschka S, Gould MN (2009). Freund's vaccine adjuvant promotes Her2/neu breast cancer. BMC Cancer. 9:19. PMID: 19144184
- Woditschka S, Haag JD, Mau B, Lubet RA, Gould MN (2008). Chemopreventive effects of celecoxib are limited to hormonally responsive mammary carcinomas in the neu-induced retroviral rat model. Breast Cancer Res. 10(1):R18. PMID: 18279516