Faculty: Michael N. Gould, PhD
Kelly H. Clifton Professor of Oncology
|Contact:||506B McArdle Lab|
|Lab Website:||Click Here|
Our laboratory focus is in breast cancer research, including both basic and translational projects. Our three major projects are:
- Breast cancer genetics: Initially, using animal models we are specifically looking for genes that prevent breast cancer. Once identified, these genes will provide a better understanding of the role of modifier genes in breast cancer risk and also provide anticancer drug development targets.
- Oncogenes, Ras signaling: We are approaching two questions in the area of carcinogenesis -- How do H-Ras and K-Ras differ in their signaling pathways? Which of these pathways lead to organ specific carcinogenesis?
- Breast cancer chemoprevention and therapy: Our laboratory is developing a novel class of anticancer drugs, the monoterpenes. They selectively induce apoptosis and inhibit proliferation in cancer cells. We are seeking the molecular basis of this important selectivity by investigating the effects of these drugs on cell cycle associated protein and signaling pathways associated with cytostasis and apoptosis. Additionally, we are performing studies with other potential chemopreventive agents, as well as identifying surrogate biomarkers for breast cancer risk.
- Leng N, Dawson JA, Thomson JA, Ruotti , Rissman AI. Smits BMG, Haag JD, Gould MN, Stewart RM, and Kendziorski C (2013). EBSeq:An Empirical Bayes Hierarchical Model for Inference in RNA-Seq Experiments. Bioinformatics 29:1035-1043.
- Smits BMG, Haag, JD, Rissman, AI, Sharma, D, Tran, A, Schoenborn, AA, Baird, RC, Peiffer, DS, Leinweber, DQ, Muelbl, MJ, Meilahn AL, Eichelberg, MR Leng, N, Kendziorski, C, John, MC, Powers, PA, Alexander, CM, and Gould MN (2013). The Gene Desert Mammary Carcinoma Susceptibility LocusMcs1a RegulatesNr2f1 Modifying Mammary Epithelial Cell Differentiation and Proliferation. PLoS Genet.9:e1003549
- Drinkwater NR, and Gould MN (2012). The Long Path from QTL to Gene. PLoS Genet.8:e1002975
- Pirone JR, D’Arcy M, Stewart DA, Hines WC, Johnson M, Gould MN, Yaswen P, Jerry DJ, Schneider SS, and Troester MA (2012). Age-Associated Gene Expression in Normal Breast Tissue Mirrors Qualitative Age-at-Incidence Patterns for Breast Cancer.Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev.21:1735-1744.
- Sharma D, Eichelberg MR, Haag JD, Meilahn AL, Muelbl MJ, Schell K, Smits BMG, and Gould MN (2012). Effective Flow Cytometric Phenotyping of Cells Using Minimal Amounts of Antibody. BioTechniques.53:57-60.
- Smits BMG, Traun BD, Devries TL, Tran A, Samuelson D, Haag JD, and Gould MN (2012). An Insulator Loop Resides between the Synthetically Interacting Elements of the Human/Rat Conserved Breast Cancer Susceptibility LocusMCS5A/Mcs5a. Nucleic Acids Res.40:132-147