Faculty: Beth A. Weaver, PhD
|Dept:||Assistant Professor, Cell & Regenerative Biology|
|Contact:|| 6109 WIMR,
1111 Highland Ave
|Web Page||Click Here|
- Chromosome segregation during mitosis
- Effects of chromosome missegregation on tumors
Future research in the lab will focus on:
- Genes required for accurate chromosome segregation;
- The types of chromosome segregation errors that drive tumor promotion versus tumor suppression; and
- The context-dependent factors that influence the effects of aneuploidy on normal cells and on tumors.
Honors & Awards
- 2010 American Cancer Society University of Wisconsin Institutional Research Grant Award
- 2006-2008 Postdoctoral Fellowship, Philip Morris Foundation
- 2006 Brigid G. Leventhal Scholar in Cancer Research Award
- 1999-2002 National Cancer Institute Training Grant
- Eric Britigan, MCP graduate student
- Lauren Zasadil, MCP graduate student
- Jun Wan, Physiology graduate student
- Channi Kaur, technician
We recently discovered the mechanism of action of the commonly used chemotherapy drug paclitaxel (Trade name Taxol®). For the 30 years paclitaxel has been used in the clinic, it has been thought to arrest patient tumor cells in mitosis, as it does cells in culture. However, we found that concentrations of paclitaxel in breast tumors are too low to cause mitotic arrest. Rather, cells divide on multipolar spindles, leading to cell death.
For a full list, visit Dr. Weaver's PubMed page
- Zasadil LM, Andersen K, Ryan SD, Yeum D, Raines R, Burkard ME, and Weaver BA (2014). Cytotoxicity of paclitaxel in breast cancer is due to chromosome missegregation on multipolar spindles.Science Translational Medicine 6:229ra43.
- Silk AD*, Zasadil LM*, Holland AJ, Vitre B, Cleveland DW and Weaver BA (2013). The rate of chromosome missegregation determines whether aneuploidy promotes or suppresses tumors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 110:E4134-4141.
- Zasadil LM, Britigan EMC and Weaver BA (2013). 2n or not 2n: Aneuploidy, polyploidy and chromosomal instability in primary and tumor cells.Semin Cell Dev Biol,doi:pii: S1084-9521(13)00019-0 PMC3736819.
- Ryan SD, Britigan EMC, Zasadil LM, Witte K, Audhya A, Roopra A and Weaver BA (2012). Mad1 upregulation causes chromosomal instability and resistance to microtubule poisons,Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A,109: E2205-14.PMC3421180.
- Weaver BA, Silk AD, Montagna C, Verdier-Pinard P and Cleveland DW (2007). Aneuploidy acts both oncogenically and as a tumor suppressor.Cancer Cell,11: 25-36.