The major goals of my research have been to discover local cell-cell interactions and molecular mechanisms that are used to establish the nascent ovarian follicle niche during follicle development, control the onset and maintenance of fetal testosterone synthesis, and stimulate the acquisition of steroidogenic activity within rogue prostate cancer cells.
Honors & Awards
- 2014- Early Stage Reviewer for National Institutes of Health, Cellular, Molecular and Integrative Reproduction Study Section (NIH-CMIR)
- 2007 – Dr. Gordon & Mrs. Helen Kruger Distinguished Teacher Award, University of Illinois
- 2007 – Carl J. Norden/Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award, University of Illinois
- 2004 – Arnold O. Beckman Research Award, University of Illinois
Discovered that the transcription factor, SF1 (NR5A1) is required for growth and survival of castration resistant prostate cancer xenografts.
- Samantha Lewis, PhD defense 7/21/2014, graduate student ERP
- Megan Hornung, graduate student MCP
- Anqi Fu, graduate student ERP
- Jessica Muszynski, research specialist
- Claire Holdreith, undergraduate student
- Stephanie Winske, veterinary student
- Carney CM, Muszynski JL, Strotman LN, Lewis SR, O’Connel RL, Beebe DJ, Theberge AB, Jorgensen JS, 2014, “Cellular Microenvironment Dictates Androgen Production by Murine Fetal Leydig Cells in Primary Culture,” Biol. Reprod., 91:1-13. PMCID: PMC4435030
- Lewis SR, Hedman CJ, Ziegler T, Ricke WA, Jorgensen JS, 2014, “Steroidogenic Factor 1 promotes aggressive growth of castration resistant prostate cancer cells by stimulating steroid synthesis and cell proliferation,” Endocrinology. 155(2):358-69. doi:10.1210/en.2013-1583. PMID: 2426545
- Jorgensen JS, 2013, “Defining the neighborhoods that escort the oocyte through its early life events and into a functional follicle,” Mol. Reprod. Dev., 80:960-976. PMID: 24105719.
- Kim B, Kim Y, Cooke PS, Rüther U, Jorgensen JS, 2011, “The Fused Toes locus is essential for somatic-germ cell interactions that foster germ cell maturation in developing gonads,” Biol Reprod, 84:1024-32. PMID: 21293032
- Kim B, Kim Y, Sakuma R, Hui CC, Rüther U, Jorgensen JS, 2011, “Primordial germ cell proliferation is impaired in Fused Toes mutant embryos,” Dev Biol, 349:417-426. PMID: 20969841