- I am interested in target identification, molecular pharmacology of drug action, drug delivery technologies and development of biologicals for specific disease states.
- Skills and Expertise: Western Blotting, Cell Culture, Molecular Biology, Protein Expression, Cell Biology, Protein Purification, Molecular Cloning, Confocal Microscopy, qPCR, Transfection, PCR, Immunohistochemistry, Drug Delivery, Electrophysiology, Protein Chemistry, Neuroscience
- Looking for research positions in the Pharmaceutical and Biotech industry.
- Versatile, and highly motivated research scientist with more than ten years of experience in multidisciplinary biomedical research. I am Pharmacologist and Biochemist by training, my research experience spans the space of cancer research, inflammatory disorders, asthma and neurological conditions.
- Proficient in implementing and troubleshooting a range of biochemical methodologies, purification strategies, enzyme assays and bio-analytical techniques such as HPLC and mass spectrometry for proteins and lipids.
- Skilled in the use of different model systems and have been involved in the development and training of various cell-based and in vitro assays.
- Comfortable in high-pressure environments, independent.
- Chu UB, Ramachandran S, Hajipour AR, and Ruoho AE (2013). Photoaffinity labeling of the sigma-1 receptor with N-[3-(4-nitrophenyl)propyl]-N-dodecylamine: evidence of receptor dimers. Biochemistry. 52:859-868. PMID: 23324054 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
- Chu UB, Hajipour AR, Ramachandran S, and Ruoho AE (2011).Characterization of interactions of 4-nitrophenylpropyl-N-alkylamine with ς receptors. Biochemistry. 50:7568-78. Epub 2011 Aug 9. PMID: 21790129 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
- Nagahashi M, Kim EY, Yamada A, Ramachandran S, Allegood JC, Hait NC, Maceyka M, Milstien S, Takabe K, and Spiegel S (2013). Spns2, a transporter of phosphorylated sphingoid bases, regulates their blood and lymph levels, and the lymphatic network. FASEB J. 27:1001-11. Epub 2012 Nov 24.PMID: 23180825 [PubMed – indexed for MEDLINE]
- Takabe K, Kim RH, Allegood JC, Mitra P, Ramachandran S, Nagahashi M, Harikumar KB, Hait NC, Milstien S, and Spiegel S (2010). Estradiol induces export of sphingosine 1-phosphate from breast cancer cells via ABCC1 and ABCG2. J Biol Chem. 285:10477-10486. Epub 2010 Jan 28. PMCID: PMC2856255
- Ramachandran S, Chu UB, Mavlyutov TA, Pal A, Pyne S, and Ruoho AE. (2009). The sigma1 receptor interacts with N-alkyl amines and endogenous sphingolipids. Eur J Pharmacol. 609:19-26. PMCID: PMC3194046
- Johannessen MA, Ramachandran S, Riemer L, Ramos-Serrano A, Ruoho AE, and Jackson MB (2009). Voltage-Gated Sodium Channel Modulation by Sigma Receptors in Cardiac Myocytes and Heterologous Systems. Am J Physiol Cell Physiol. 296:c1049-1057. PMCID: PMC2681399
- Pal A, Chu UB, Ramachandran S, Grawoig D, Guo LW, Hajipour AR, and Ruoho AE (2008). Juxtaposition of the steroid binding domain-like I and II regions constitutes a ligand binding site in the sigma-1 receptor. J Biol Chem. 283:19646-19656. PMCID: PMC2443669
- Pal A, Hajipour AR, Fontanilla D, Ramachandran S, Chu UB, Mavlyutov T, and Ruoho AE (2007). Identification of regions of the sigma-1 receptor ligand binding site using a novel photoprobe. Mol Pharmacol. 72:921-933. PMID: 17622576
- Ramachandran S, Lu H, Prabhu U, and Ruoho AE (2007). Purification and characterization of the guinea pig sigma-1 receptor functionally expressed in Escherichia coli. Protein Expr Purif. 51:283-92. PMCID: PMC2953794