Our laboratory is interested in developing efficient and stereoselective methods for the synthesis of bioactive carbo- or heterocycles. Cycloaddition is one of the most efficient means to access highly functionalized ring systems from simple building blocks. We have developed a series of new transition metal-catalyzed cycloaddition reactions that are impossible under thermal conditions. These novel methods have been applied to the synthesis of diverse bioactive polycyclic natural products and pharmaceutical agents.
Awards and Honors:
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Predoctoral Fellowship (2002)
- Amgen Predoctoral Fellowship (2003)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship (2005-2007)
- Thieme Synlett/Synthesis Journal Award (2010)
- Amgen Young Investigator Award (2011)
- “Iridium-Catalyzed Dynamic Kinetic Isomerization: Expedient Synthesis of Carbohydrates from Achmatowicz Rearrangement Products.” Wang, H.-Y.; Yang, K.; Bennett S. R.; Guo, S.-R.; Tang, W. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, in press (DOI: 10.1002/anie.201503151).
- “Synthesis of Substituted Tropones by Sequential Rh-Catalyzed [5+2] Cycloaddition and Elimination.” Song, W.; Xi, B.-m.; Yang, K.; Tang, W.* Tetrahedron 2015, in press (doi:10.1016/j.tet.2015.04.039)
- “Tumor Suppressor Role of Notch3 in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Revealed by Genetic and Pharmacological Induction.” Jaskula-Sztul, R.; Eide, J.; Tesfazghi, S.; Dammalapati, A.; Harrison, A. D.; Yu, X.-M.; Scheinebeck, C.; Winston-McPherson, G.; Kupcho, K. R.; Robers, M. B.; Hundal, A. K.; Tang, W.; Chen, H. Mol. Cancer Therap. 2015, 14, 499.
- “Copper-catalyzed tandem annulation/arylation for the synthesis of diindolylmethanes from propargylic alcohols.” Li, H.; Li, X.; Wang, H.-Y.; Winston-McPherson, G. N.; Geng, H.-M. J.; Guzei, I. A.; Tang, W. Chem. Commun. 2014, 50, 12293-12296.
- “Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of 2,3’-Diindolylmethanes as Agonists of Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor.” Winston-McPherson, G. N.; Shu, D.; Tang, W. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2014, 24, 4023-4025.