Jacques Galipeau, MD
Position title: Professor, Medicine; Associate Dean for Therapeutics Development, UW SMPH
1111 Highland Ave
Jacques Galipeau, M.D. FRCP(C) is the Don and Marilyn Anderson Professor of Oncology within the Department of Medicine and UW Carbone Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Wisconsin in Madison, and is the inaugural Assistant Dean for Therapeutics Discovery and Development at the University of Wisconsin School of Medicine & Public Health
Dr. Galipeau has initiated and developed an NIH-funded research program in the study and use of mesenchymal stromal cells as an immunotherapy of catastrophic illnesses including cancer and immune disease. He is an internationally recognized expert in translational development of cell therapies and the sponsor of a series of FDA-sanctioned clinical trials examining the use of autologous marrow-derived mesenchymal stromal cells for immune disorders, including Crohn’s disease and graft vs host disease. Dr. Galipeau has also developed the field of fusion engineered cytokines known as fusokines, as a novel pharmaceutical means of treating immune disorders and cancer. Dr. Galipeau is the director of the University of Wisconsin Advanced Cell Therapy Program whose mission is to develop personalized cell therapies for immune and malignant disorders and to promote and deploy first-in-human clinical trials of UW cell therapy innovations to improve outcomes for children and adults.
- Galipeau J, Krampera M., The challenge of defining mesenchymal stromal cell potency assays and their potential use as release criteria. Galipeau J, Krampera M. Cytotherapy. 2015 Feb;17(2):125-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jcyt.2014.12.008.
- Chinnadurai R, Copland IB, Ng S, Garcia M, Prasad M, Arafat D, Gibson G, Kugathasan S, Galipeau J, , Mesenchymal stromal cells derived from Crohn’s patients deploy indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase mediated immune suppression, independent of autophagy. Mol Ther. 2015 Jul;23(7):1248-61. doi: 10.1038/mt.2015.67. Epub 2015 Apr 22.
- Galipeau J, , Krampera M, Barrett J, Dazzi F, Deans RJ, DeBruijn J, Dominici M, Fibbe WE, Gee AP, Gimble JM, Hematti P, Koh MBC, LeBlanc K, Martin I, McNiece IK, Mendicino M, Oh S, Ortiz L, Phinney DG, Planat V, Prockop DJ, Shi Y, Stroncek DF, Viswanathan S, Weiss DJ and Sensebe L., International society for cellular therapy perspective on immune functional assays for mesenchymal stromal cells as potency release criterion for advanced phase clinical trials. Cytotherapy. 2016 Feb;18(2):151-9. doi: 0.1016/j.jcyt.2015.11.008. Epub 2015 Dec 23.
- Chinnadurai R, Copland IB, Garcia MA, Petersen C, Lewis C, Waller EK, Kirk A, Galipeau J, ., Cryopreserved MSCs are susceptible to T-cell mediated apoptosis which is partly rescued by IFNγ licensing. Stem Cells. 2016 Sep;34(9):2429-42. doi: 10.1002/stem.2415. Epub 2016 Jul 4.
- Stenger EO, Chinnadurai R, Yuan S, Garcia M, Arafat D, Gibson G, Krishnamurti L, Galipeau J, ., Bone Marrow-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells from Patients with Sickle Cell Disease Display Intact Functionality. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2017 May;23(5):736-745. doi: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2017.01.081. Epub 2017 Jan 26