Weiping Tang, PhD
Professor, School of Pharmacy; Professor, Department of Chemistry
7125 Rennebohm Hall
777 Highland Ave.
- Lab Website
- Tang Lab
We are interested in developing novel small molecules for treating human diseases and facilitating the study of cell biology. Our research covers many aspects of pharmacology such as medicinal chemistry, chemical biology, carbohydrate chemistry, and glycobiology. Our laboratory is particularly interested in designing and synthesizing small molecules that can selectively modulate the stability of dysregulated proteins. We are currently developing small molecules that can selectively degrade PCSK9 proteins, which may have the potential for treating hyperlipidemia. We are also developing small molecules that can selectively degrade estrogen receptor-alpha, which may have the potential for treating certain types of breast cancers. We are also trying to advance glycoscience by streamlining the synthesis of oligosaccharides through the development of novel technologies.
Honors & Awards
- Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc. Predoctoral Fellowship (2002)
- Amgen Predoctoral Fellowship (2003)
- Howard Hughes Medical Institute Postdoctoral Fellowship (2005-2007)
- Thieme Synlett/Synthesis Journal Award (2010)
- Amgen Young Investigator Award (2011)
- “Iridium-Catalyzed Dynamic Kinetic Isomerization: Expedient Synthesis of Carbohydrates from Achmatowicz Rearrangement Products.” Wang, H.-Y.; Yang, K.; Bennett S. R.; Guo, S.-R.; Tang, W. Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. 2015, in press (DOI: 10.1002/anie.201503151).
- “Synthesis of Substituted Tropones by Sequential Rh-Catalyzed [5+2] Cycloaddition and Elimination.” Song, W.; Xi, B.-m.; Yang, K.; Tang, W.* Tetrahedron 2015, in press (doi:10.1016/j.tet.2015.04.039)
- “Tumor Suppressor Role of Notch3 in Medullary Thyroid Carcinoma Revealed by Genetic and Pharmacological Induction.” Jaskula-Sztul, R.; Eide, J.; Tesfazghi, S.; Dammalapati, A.; Harrison, A. D.; Yu, X.-M.; Scheinebeck, C.; Winston-McPherson, G.; Kupcho, K. R.; Robers, M. B.; Hundal, A. K.; Tang, W.; Chen, H. Mol. Cancer Therap. 2015, 14, 499.
- “Copper-catalyzed tandem annulation/arylation for the synthesis of diindolylmethanes from propargylic alcohols.” Li, H.; Li, X.; Wang, H.-Y.; Winston-McPherson, G. N.; Geng, H.-M. J.; Guzei, I. A.; Tang, W. Chem. Commun. 2014, 50, 12293-12296.
- “Synthesis and Biological Evaluation of 2,3’-Diindolylmethanes as Agonists of Aryl Hydrocarbon Receptor.” Winston-McPherson, G. N.; Shu, D.; Tang, W. Bioorg. Med. Chem. Lett. 2014, 24, 4023-4025.