Beth A. Weaver, PhD
Associate Professor, Cell & Regenerative Biology
1111 Highland Ave
- Lab Website
- Weaver Lab
- Chromosome segregation during mitosis
- Effects of chromosome missegregation on tumors
Future research in the lab will focus on:
- Genes required for accurate chromosome segregation;
- The types of chromosome segregation errors that drive tumor promotion versus tumor suppression; and
- The context-dependent factors that influence the effects of aneuploidy on normal cells and on tumors.
Honors & Awards
- 2010 American Cancer Society University of Wisconsin Institutional Research Grant Award
- 2006-2008 Postdoctoral Fellowship, Philip Morris Foundation
- 2006 Brigid G. Leventhal Scholar in Cancer Research Award
- 1999-2002 National Cancer Institute Training Grant
For a full list, visit Dr. Weaver’s PubMed page
- Zasadil LM, Andersen K, Ryan SD, Yeum D, Raines R, Burkard ME, and Weaver BA (2014). Cytotoxicity of paclitaxel in breast cancer is due to chromosome missegregation on multipolar spindles. Science Translational Medicine 6:229ra43. (This work was selected for F1000 Prime and highlighted on the cover of the issue, in Science News and in Cancer Discovery News.)
- Britigan, E.M.C., Wan, J., Zasadil, L.M., Ryan, S.D. and Weaver, B.A. 2014. The ARF tumor suppressor prevents chromosomal instability and ensures mitotic checkpoint fidelity through regulation of Aurora B. Mol Biol Cell 25:2761-73. (This work was highlighted by the American Society for Cell Biology)
- Wan, J., Zhu, F., Zasadil, L.M., Yu, J., Wang, L., Johnson, A., Berthier, E., Beebe, D.J., Audhya A. and Weaver, B. A. 2014. Golgi localized pool of the mitotic checkpoint component Mad1 controls integrin secretion and cell migration, Curr Biol 24: 2687–2692. (This work was highlighted in Science Signaling.)
- Weaver, B.A. 2014. How Taxol/paclitaxel kills cancer cells. Mol Biol Cell 25:2677-81.
- Hwang B, McCool K, Wan J, Wuerzberger-Davis SM, Young EW, Choi EY, Cingolani G, Weaver BA, Miyamoto S. IPO3 mediated nonclassical nuclear import of NEMO drives DNA damage-dependent NF-κB activation. J Biol Chem. 2015 Jun 9. pii: jbc.M115.645960.